Whether it’s Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, or birthday, buying a present for your lady love is often a nerve-racking affair. More often than not, you spend a ton of time figuring out what gift to buy, only to end up with a lackluster present she won’t remember years down the line. How about breaking that cycle? Instead of gifting her something subpar, give her a present that she can find useful — like a handbag.
We know what you’re thinking. Handbags are often misconstrued as glorified, overpriced purses that do nothing but store one’s belongings. To an extent, it’s true, but for most women, handbags signify style, social status, and personality. A bag can be a practical gift, one that she can use to complement her outfits and carry all her essentials all at the same time.
When you’re buying a handbag, it’s not as easy as picking the “it bag” of the moment. You have to take into account what your girlfriend likes, what bags she already has in her collection, and her lifestyle. If you have trouble choosing, here’s a handy guide to buying a bag she will appreciate:
Things to consider when buying a handbag
First things first, figure out a budget. Quality bags typically cost more, especially when it’s made of durable material. The handbag you end up getting hinges on how much you’re willing to shell out. Luxury bags are on the more expensive side, but if you can’t afford that, there are still quality bags from no-name brands that you can get if you only know where to look.
You don’t want to buy a bag your girlfriend won’t use just because it doesn’t fit her personal style. A good tip would be to observe what she usually carries. Does she love bags with straps or with handles? Does she prefer crossbody purses or messenger bags? Does she tend to gravitate towards neutral colors or bright ones? If you have a good idea of what bag she uses on the regular, the easier your search will be.
Type of Bag
Now that you’ve figured out her aesthetic, the next thing to consider is the type of bag that will accommodate her personal style. There are lots to choose from, but here are some examples to help you out:
- Tote: Roomy bag with an open top and handles, perfect for casual wear
- Hobo: Large, crescent-shaped sack that is spacey enough to hold tons of items
- Duffle: A shoulder bag with a wider opening
- Clutch: Suitable for special occasions, a clutch is usually the handheld type with a unique design and little room for essentials
- Satchel: Ideal for work or school, it’s typically rectangle-shaped with a long strap
- Messenger: Similar to the satchel, a messenger bag is roomy and has a strap that can be worn over one shoulder.
- Baguette: Like the clutch, the baguette is a compact handbag with a trendy design, usually used for parties and special events
Quality of the Bag
Last but not least, you should be getting your girlfriend a handbag that is of excellent quality so she can use it for years. Scrutinize the bag and make sure that the stitches are intact, the zippers open and close seamlessly, and the material is easy to clean.
If you’re looking for a place where you can find affordable, quality luxury bags, check out our collection.